Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Seal clubber violently dragged from PETA luncheon: Escapes with life

How does that fake headline make you feel? Outraged? Maybe. Sad that generally good-intentioned people decided to take the low road? Sure. Feeling a little tingly that he got what he deserved? Well, that's only natural. You wouldn't be wrong if you felt any combination of those things. But would you be surprised? No, of course not. What kind of idiot disregards all common sense and walks directly into the mouth of the lion with raw steak strapped to their backs?

When you go to college in New England, as I did, and you're a Yankees fan, as I was at the time, you learn pretty quickly that there is a big (and sometimes dangerous) difference between being a die hard fan, and being a f&$king moron. You see, your friends and family, though fans of rival teams, still love you deep down, so although they may stop talking to you for a few weeks when you behave irrationally or childishly, they most certainly will not drag you into an alley on Yawkey Way and beat you within an inch of your life. And since we will dedicate a lot of time on this blog to dealing with friends and family, I thought I might talk about dealing with rivals while visiting rival cities.

When I was in college, everything seemed opposite to what I had grown accustomed to. Bars, restaurants, public meeting spaces, etc. - places that I could always ask the person next to me "What's the score?" and they would know what I meant, became profanity in New England because it always required a qualifier "No, the Yankees score". I realized many years later that NESN has a regular "Evil Empire Update" during Sox games, so it isn't as though they didn't know the score, they just didn't see the point in passing it on. The difference between me and most die hard fans though is that I had the common sense to adapt.

Case in point - my first and only trip to Fenway Park, a game between the Sox and the A's resulted in a relatively boring game but an extraordinary sociological experiment in the right field bleachers. For some reason, a guy decided that not only was he going to attend a Red Sox game with a Yankee hat on, but that he was going to act like a jack ass and point it out to everyone on his way in. As a Yankee fan, part of me could appreciate his fanatical support, while my evolutionary instinct to survive, which his lineage had apparently not honed over time, led me to believe that I had literally encountered the most shallow part of the gene pool. When he was douched with beer in the third inning he threw his hands up as if to say "Come on guys, honestly?" When his heterosexuality was called into question for three straight innings he responded by pointing at his cap and giving the #1 signal, over and over again reminding Red Sox fans that wherever they went, Yankees fans were the best in the business. By the sixth inning, the game was essentially over, and Sox fans had resorted to doing whatever they could to incite the guy. By the time he turned around to say something, a shirtless South Bostonian (I presume) had climbed over the seat and slapped him in the earhole, making the removal of the cap only a secondary consequence of his actions. While both of them were being removed from the Park, other Sox fans, I suppose in support, emptied their garbage and beverages on the guy, doing everything they could to humiliate him. I can only imagine the unholy treatment that Yankee cap received in the bleachers that day, but I did learn an important lesson:

  • Don't where red to a Michigan game;
  • Don't cheer for the Celtics in L.A.;
  • Don't cheer for the Canadiens in Toronto; and
  • Don't wear a Yankees cap to Fenway
Doing these things does not make you a die hard fan....it makes you a f*$king moron. If you do any of these things, you deserve whatever treatment you receive, just like those people in BMW's from Westchester County who thought they could beat the traffic by taking a right hand turn out of the old Yankee stadium (thereby heading directly into the "scenic parts" of the Bronx). When you are in rival cities do what you're supposed to do in a bear attack....sit the f*$k still and shut the f*$k up. Don't cheer, don't drink, don't eat, don't make eye contact, and certainly don't talk about sports. Just sit there like your only job for the evening is to be a seat filler. If your team wins, then have one hell of a time celebrating....two zip codes away when your car/plane/train has long ago left town.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, to a point. In your case, that Yankees fan was an idiot because the Sox were not even playing the Yankees. It was Sox-As...so he had the cap on for the sole purpose of being a douche and getting "attention."

    But I fully support wearing your team's gear when your team is actually playing in the game. I have been serenaded by an entire section in the bleachers of old Yankee Stadium (built 1979) while in my Red Sox jersey and hat (during a Sox-Yankees game). The tune was the always snappy "YMCA," with slightly altered lyrics ("Why are you gay"). The blatant homophobia aside, it was funny. And it was good natured, for the most part...seeing as how the Sox won the game I was able to get out of there unscathed...

    But last year, on my birthday, my wife got us Sox-Yankees tickets. We went to the game in our Red Sox gear, and had a great time...right up until the end. This was the 16-inning monster of a game (that pretty much cemented the end of the Sox season and the Yankee run to the championship). Anyway, by the end of the game, only the REAL assholes were left in the stadium. And when A-Rod hit the homerun to win it, it was open season on me and my wife.

    People were screaming at us, flipping us off, calling us pretty much everything you can think of. One guy had his finger so far in my face that he was pushing me on the forehead as he spewed "THAT'S HOW YOU F@CKING DO IT!! THAT'S HOW YOU F@CKING DO IT!! GO F@CK YOURSELF YOU F@CK!!!!!"

    Charming.

    And as we walked down the tunnel to exit the park, we were literally being spit on by people walking by us. I am not kidding, people were walking up from behind, turning to face us, and spitting on us before leaving us with a taste of their heinously limited vocabularies.

    It was awful, and actually quite frightening considering it was 200-on-2, with my partner being a 4'11" 100-lb woman with a Mike Lowell t-shirt on. So there was nothing we could do but just take it.

    But was this incident my fault? I can't imagine it was. My team (the Red Sox) were playing a game I was attending in Yankee Stadium. As a paying customer, I should be able to watch a game where I have a rooting interest, and actually root. I know the limits, of course. If your team does well, give a quick clap, maybe a short vocalization...maybe even a fast high five with a friend. And if they win, just leave your seats and get out of there. Do not stand up and turn around and start taunting the entire home crowd. Do that, and you deserve whatever is coming to you.

    But you have to be able to go to a game (with your wife!!) and root for your team, no matter where it is.

    Unless it's Philadelphia. Just stay away from there. Don't go there. It's awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't entirely disagree, though I do with the fact that you expect reasonable behavior from New Yorkers at a Yankees game. I suppose that the overriding point of the post is that you don't walk into a place filled with unreasonable people and expect reason to prevail. If you wanted to wear full regalia and cheer (within appropriate limits) at a Sox-Padres inter-league affair, I'm sure that the fine people of San Diego would allow it to go on with little or no response (as you see when half of Tropicana Field is filled with pink Red Sox hats and no one is doing anything about it). Wearing your Red Sox gear to Yankee Stadium is like sending Hanna Montana into Clinton Correctional and then being surprised that she is mistreated by the inmates. "I should be able to do a charity concert at Clinton Correctional without being howled at or abused!" Yes, Ms. Montana, in a rational world with rational people you should. In Yankee Stadium though, all rules are off, and your primary focus should be making it through 9 innings without a prison shanking between the numbers. Sorry, you know I hate it as much as you do, but some fans just cannot be trusted. In fact, since you bring up Philly, which everyone can agree is the Thunderdome of sports cities, let's have everyone share their thoughts on "Cities I wouldn't wear my teams jersey in - for fear that I not make it out alive" picking a city for every major sport (I swear if I see one mention of soccer, so help me God I will hunt you down).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where I wouldn't wear my...

    Red Sox gear...New York

    Bruins gear...Montreal, Philadelphia, New Jersey

    Celtics gear...LA, Detroit

    Patriots gear...Oakland, Philadelphia, New York

    Tiger Woods gear...his house in Orlando

    USA Curling...Canada, Sweden, Denmark

    UVM Hockey...Boston, New Haven, Minnesota

    UVM Basketball...Syracuse

    Braintree High Baseball/Football...Weymouth, Milton, Walpole

    ReplyDelete